Romanov Russian Black Bread Recipe
Hello friends, welcome to Breads Recipe. Today we are going to make Romanov Russian Black Bread Recipe.
Romanov Russian Black Bread is a type of bread that is traditionally served in Russia. It is known for its dense texture and rich, complex flavor, which comes from various ingredients such as rye flour, molasses, and coffee.
Romanov Russian Black Bread is usually dark in color and has a slightly sweet taste, with hints of bitterness and spices.
In addition to rye flour, molasses, and coffee, Romanov Russian Black Bread often includes ingredients such as caraway seeds, fennel seeds, and cocoa powder, which give the bread its distinctive flavor.
The bread is typically baked in a loaf pan and sliced thickly for serving. It is often served with butter or used as a base for sandwiches.
Romanov Russian Black Bread can be a delicious and hearty addition to any meal. Its rich flavor and dense texture make it a great accompaniment to soups, stews, and grilled meats. It is also popular for sandwiches, particularly those made with smoked meats or fish.
Here’s a recipe for Romanov Russian Black Bread:
Ingredients for making Romanov Russian Black Bread Recipe
- 2 cups rye flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Instructions for making Romanov Russian Black Bread Recipe
- In a large bowl, combine the rye flour, all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, caraway seeds, fennel seeds, yeast, and salt.
- Mix the molasses, coffee, water, and vegetable oil in a separate bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until a dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 10-12 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased loaf pan and cover it with a clean dish towel. Let the dough rise warmly for 1-2 hours until it has doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Bake the bread for 40-45 minutes until it is firm and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then remove the bread from the pan and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
- Slice the bread, serve it with butter, or use it as a sandwich base.
- Enjoy your homemade Romanov Russian Black Bread!
Frequently Asked Questions about Romanov Russian Black Bread Recipe:
Can I use instant yeast instead of active dry yeast in this recipe?
Yes, you can use instant yeast instead of active dry yeast in this recipe. Add the instant yeast to the dry ingredients and skip the step where you activate the yeast with warm water.
Can I substitute the rye flour for another type of flour?
It’s possible to substitute rye flour for another type of flour, but keep in mind that it will affect the texture and flavor of the bread.
Rye flour gives the bread its distinctive taste and denser texture, so if you use different flour, the bread may not be quite the same.
However, you could use whole wheat flour or a mixture of all-purpose and whole wheat flour as a substitute.
How should I store Romanov Russian Black Bread?
You can store the bread in a sealed plastic bag or airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. After that, it’s best to freeze the bread for longer storage.
To freeze, wrap the bread tightly in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil or a freezer bag. Thaw the bread at room temperature or in the refrigerator before serving.